Thursday, January 5, 2012

White Chill

I walked out the door this morning and discovered there was sn..
That is to say there was sn..
Sorry, I just can't seem to bring myself to say sn..

Okay, let's try this - there was white stuff on the ground.

And even though the air temperature was some fifteen degrees warmer than the previous two mornings, I was none the less shivering worse than I had all week.

Possibly because it wasn't a dry cold, but more probably because sn.. errr... white stuff on the ground triggers subconscious belief that when it sn... when white stuff falls from the sky it has to be bitterly cold.

I fought the urge to return to bed, pull the blankets over my head and sleep until... oh, say, June.

As it turned out I wasn't the only one thinking along those lines.  Even though there was barely enough white stuff to be considered a dusting, school districts were announcing delayed openings

You gotta have respect for people who recognize the first occurrence of white stuff for the traumatic event that it is.

No comments: