Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Spiderweb Factor

I've heard a lot of people reflecting on the year just past and I've heard a lot of phrases like: I never would have thought; who would have imagined; and if I hadn't made some of the choices I did.

It occurs to me that each and every day presents us with a limitless series of options from such simple things as whether or not to hit the snooze button an extra time, on up to monumental things like deciding which house to buy.

Each one of these decisions carries with it a particular outcome.  Leaving the house 10 minutes late, someone might avoid being involved in an accident at a nearby intersection.  Choosing to finally confront your boss on a particular issue might get you a promotion you wouldn't have received if you were viewed as indecisive (of course confronting your boss could get you fired too!).  By deciding to try a different restaurant at lunch you might meet the person who will become the love of your life.

It's really quite amazing when you think about it.  So often we think of ourselves as being boxed in when, in fact, every day is a spiderweb of possible avenues.

No comments: