Sunday, January 22, 2012

Wall of Light

There is a house that sits on the street just outside of our development.  It's an A-frame design with one wall nearly completely glass.  Because the house is nestled among some trees, in daylight it's hardly noticeable. But at night, the interior lights illuminating some hundred square feet of glass makes it kind of hard to miss.

I frequently find myself musing on the warm and cozy feelings the house stirs in me.  The warm subdued glow filling the interior of the house makes me want to hurry home to my own place and snuggle down under the covers.

During the holiday season, a string of white Christmas lights running up the interior stairs frequently drew my eye.  I tried not to stare - after all there were people going about their lives inside.  But the decorative lighting further enforced the cozy, welcoming feel.

With the holidays past, the decorative lights are gone - and while the illuminated wall of glass still catches my eye at night, I am no longer tempted to let my gaze linger.  Somehow the welcoming warmth that that had called out even before the holidays has gone.

No comments: