Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Baffled By The Wear

I've tried - I really have - but I just can't grasp the concept of displaying underwear.

I'm not talking about underwear seen in advertisements, on clothes lines, or on fashion models. It's the men and boys' boxers appearing in everyday life that has me baffled.

Somewhere along the way it became fashionable to let the waistband of boxers show above the pants.  Then belts were discarded to allow for the daring "oops" of a little more exposure.

Gradually the street urchins, as I call them, decided there was no need for underwear to be under anything anymore. Giving full disclosure meant lowering pants to a level where gravity should have taken over but somehow didn't.  Why bother with pants at all at that point?

Today I saw an adult (I use the identifier questioningly) crossing a city street with the tops of his pants stretched across his thighs; leaving no question as to where the boxers stopped. This - person- had found it necessary to return his belt to service as the only way to keep his pants above his ankles.

Was I wrong to want to jump out of my car and tighten his belt to the point where the next attempt at a step would have landed him face first on the asphalt?

No comments: