Monday, April 25, 2011

Trying to Find It

I admit it. I've learned to ignore the flashing headlights of speed demons on the highway who just can't wait an extra minute for me to get out of there way.

But flashing headlights from a car that was slowing down got my attention. If the driver didn't want me out of the way, what was up with the headlight thing?

Keeping one eye on the road ahead and one eye on my rear view mirror I studied the retreating car as headlights flashed, turn signals blinked, and windshield wipers made a dry sweep across the windshield.

Then it was turn signals followed by wipers followed by headlights.

Finally a wet spray covered the windshield, wipers wiped productively and the car picked up speed. I realized the driver had been pushing, pulling, and turning the control arms on either side of the steering wheel in an attempt to wash the windshield.

Have we made cars too complicated for some folks?  Remember when nearly every accessory had it's own button? A button on the dash was pulled out to turn on the headlights, a button on the floor was pushed to switch between high and low beams, the turn signal was just that - a turn signal.

Then again, with all the options cars have now an individual button for everything would require doing away with the passenger seat.

No comments: