Monday, April 4, 2011

Digging Up the Past

There's a surprise in every sand dune.

I can only imagine the adrenaline surge a local beach comber experienced when his metal detector registered something large enough to send the meter right off the scale. The guy had to have dropped to his knees to start digging furiously.

Such a treasure hunter was doing just that kind of furious digging in a sand dune that once provided shelter to a military base during the World War.  The base was home to some "guns" big enough to sink a ship well off shore.

I invite you to picture the expression on the treasure hunter's face when his goldmine turned out to be ordinance from one of those monster guns - not an empty casing, but a fully in-tact "rocket".

I'm betting he dropped his metal shovel in one heck of a hurry.

Hours later authorities showed up on the scene and... you guessed it... DETONATED that World War relic.

I'd be willing to bet I could pick up a metal detector for cheap if I had a mind to,

No comments: