Friday, February 4, 2011

Spotting Gargoyles

When the gargoyle turned to look at me I decided I had been working too hard.

I had just returned from a meeting and was pulling my chair up to my desk when movement outside of the window caught my attention. In truth I couldn't imagine what I had seen. The second floor window offered a view of only a couple of trees growing in the courtyard of the U shaped building. Seldom did I see anything moving other than branches shaking in the wind. Waving branches had become so commonplace that they would hardly have caught my attention as something out of the norm. 

It was while gradually adjusting my line of sight ever higher that I caught the movement again. Not in the trees but atop the substantial brick chimney that rose some fifteen feet beyond the slate roof of the four story building. Frowning, I found that I couldn't remember having previously noticed the two stone gargoyles positioned on the top corners of the chimney.

When I stepped closer to the window for a better view, one of the gargoyles turned as though having seen my movement. Removing my glasses and rubbing the bridge of my nose, I was contemplating rescheduling the remainder of the day's meetings to afford an obviously much needed break when both gargoyles spread their wings.

Only after they lifted into flight did I recognize the turkey buzzards for what they were.

No comments: