Saturday, March 22, 2014

Timing Is Everything

My recent visit to TGIF for dinner had me reeling.  Quite unbeknownst to me, I had selected all of the best the restaurant had to offer based on my waitress punctuating my every word with FA-A-antastic or GREAT choice. When my request for a doggie bag was answered with FA-A-antastic, it all began to get incredibly (with a perky exclamation point!) old.

Until I realized that the waitresses had never once asked me how everything was, or if I needed anything else, while my mouth was full of food.

Because that's generally the way it works isn't it?  You've just taken a too-big-bite of a too-thick club sandwich when the waiter or waitresses materializes at your side and asks if you need anything else. At which point you are grateful for all of the games of charades you played as a child.

It's a flaw that dental hygienists have as well. With a noisy suction tube dangling out of the lower corner of your mouth and a gleaming pick wedged behind your upper incisors you hear it....Any problems since you were last here?

And you think.... only that it took me three entire days to forget how annoying you were.

No comments: