Thursday, March 27, 2014

Siamese If You Please

Shocking Dude, my son, and Language Lass, his wife, (see cast of characters below) share an apartment with two Siamese cats named Idalia and Kellen.  That is to say the cats tolerate the presence of the two humans since having humans around saves the cats from having to hunt for food.

Having spent many hours with Shocking Dude when he was just a wee lad watching the Disney movie Lady and the Tramp, I was a little surprised at the choice of two Siamese. If you're not familiar with the movie, two Siamese cats manage to trash a McMansion with no assistance. We're talking shredded draperies, toppled Ming vases - utter catastrophe.

When I visit the apartment, it doesn't seem as bad as I had anticipated - though some of the pictures that have been posted on Facebook leave me wondering just how much hiding of evidence happens before Motivated Mom and I pay a visit.

Though Kellen tends to hide when company arrives, I have seen the two cats flow through the apartment like a single living organism - one leapfrogging ahead of the other only to be leapfrogged in return- slipping across furniture, leaping onto counter tops, slinking into pantries, and opening cabinet doors. I'm sure that someplace Kellen and Idalia have the feline equivalent of Aladdin's treasure.

Cast of Characters - since it's been a while I should probably revisit this. Names of family members have been changed to protect both the innocent and the guilty:

My wife: Motivated Mom - so named because she attacks everything she does with a passion or energy

My son: Shocking Dude - so named because he is an electrical engineer (for long time readers he was previously known as College Dude, but with graduation behind him that had to change

My daughter: Media Girl - she is connected to the world by the use of some type of media 24/7. Without a cell phone her life energy would evaporate into the ether.

My daughter-in-law: Language Lass - her passion is language and she currently studies Anthropological Linguistics. Which I guess means she fascinated by talking with dead people.

My granddaughter: Miss Grabby Fingers - because at 2 years of age she grabs anything and everything she sees.

No comments: