Wednesday, December 19, 2012

First Steps

It happened in a fortnight. Our granddaughter went from immobility to walking - bypassing crawling altogether.

There was the phase where she would stand upright while leaning on the couch - if someone set her on her feet first. Then suddenly she simply appeared underfoot in the kitchen, leaning on cabinet doors to enhance her stability. 

The crafty look on her face when she first came around the corner said Got you didn't I?

And now....now nothing is secure. The snow village under the Christmas tree was devastated by an avalanche generated by a seven-month-old.  Drawers and cabinets have been opened, their contents either simply inspected or altogether rearranged. The small palm tree in the corner is enduring the plucking of fronds from its branches.

I had forgotten this phase, this period of mobile inquisitveness where everything is a prize. I must remember to keep my car keys in my pocket.

No comments: