Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Zig Zag

It's no wonder squirrels need to bury so many nuts - they burn energy faster than they can eat.

This realization hit me as I watched a squirrel leap from the leaves in the tree line at the back of my property and zig-zag its way across my back yard. The critter traveled three hundred feet by the time it reached the patio that was seventy-five feet from the trees.

At every hairpin turn in its course the squirrel would paw at the ground - presumably to bury a another acorn. Come winter, if that squirrel can find each cache, I'm going to forgo a GPS for my car and strap a squirrel to the dashboard.

Like the squirrel, I'm now off for a couple days of travel that will take me in a zig zag course across the state.

Look for my next post on Sunday, November 7.

No comments: