Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Changes in Latitude

There's only 26 degrees of difference in latitude between Oranjestad, Aruba and Lewes, DE, but for each of those 26 lines of latitude the temperature had dropped three degrees. In only six hours I had gone from 88 degrees of warmth to 28 degrees of cold.

My body was in such total shock that I didn't fully recognize the impact of the climate change until I found my shivering so uncontrolled that I couldn't get the key into the the lock on the front door of my house.

Run Away! Run Away! my mind commanded. Back to the airport quickly, pawn your car when you get there, buy a ticket, get back to that 12th degree of latitude.

I would have turned on my heels except that just then the key slid home, the lock clicked open, and I raced to pull every blanket I owned out of the closet.

No comments: