Monday, September 17, 2012

Squirrel Mumps?

When I first saw the squirrel scrambling down the tree I thought it had a series case of the mumps. It seemed the squirrels cheeks were enlarged far beyond anything nature had intended.

Curious, I sat patiently and waited for the bushy tailed critter to work its way closer. The squirrel slowed its descent as though sensing my presence and worrying about entrapment. He scrambled to the far side of the tree trunk, then cautiously poked his head around the corner.

It was then that I was able to see the squirrel had hit the jackpot. Not only were his cheeks stuffed full, but in his teeth he carried a twig with an acorn on either end - like a nut barbell.

Finally satisfied I meant no harm the squirrel made its was to the ground and scurried off to bury its horde.

No comments: