Monday, October 10, 2011

Thunder & Schedule

A quick programming note:  I'll be teaching an evening class over the next few weeks which will impact my opportunities to visit the blogosphere.  During this period I'll offer new musings as regularly as possible and hope that you will bear with me during this stretch.

Okay... on to why you tuned in.

I've been thinking more about that ghost crab (see yesterday's blog post) who had crawled out of his hole in the sand to study me.

I noticed the little critter scurried back into his hole with amazing speed anytime a person took a step or shuffled their feet within twenty feet of his home.  And it occurred to me the crab must have been able to feel the vibrations running through the sand.

Which makes me wonder.... when a crab is nestled down it its den and a troop of children start running around do the sounds of those running feet echo like thunder below sand level? Do crabs click their claws, purse their lips, and swear to King Neptune that they're going to pinch the dickens out of those little human brats if they don't settle down?

Perhaps that's why the eyes of a ghost crab ride above the crab's shell. The subterranean thunder has popped those eyes loose.

No comments: