Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spare Reptile

At first I thought someone had left a spare tire behind after a roadside repair.  You know, one of those little doughnut spares that are good only for speeds up to 40 mph.

When I got closer I realized the spare was actually a generous sized turtle methodically making its way across the shoulder of the divided highway. Studying the turtle's ponderous movement, the slow and systematic placement of one leg after another, I wondered if the turtle understood the peril it would be in once breaching the solid white line that separated shoulder from travel lane.

The outcome of a car / turtle encounter would be good for neither party. Such a collision seemed likely in sixty mile per hour rush hour traffic.

I decided that if, on my home from work tomorrow, there is not a dead reptile on the side of the road the question won't be why did the turtle cross the road, rather it will be how did the turtle make it to the other side.

No comments: