Monday, May 6, 2013

Gas Slide

It was like a trip in a time machine. I had earned sufficient gas points at the grocery store that I was able to fill the gas tank of my SUV for $2.28 a gallon.

Motivated Mom's calculations put me back at 2007 but I wasn't stopping there.  I slipped all the way back to 1976 when gas was fifty-cents a gallon and filling up my Volkswagen Beetle cost me a whopping four dollars and change.

My VW not withstanding, the roads were filled with vehicles propelled by eight cylinder engines that roared like wild animals when drivers tromped on the gas. People drove for the sheer pleasure of spending a Saturday afternoon checking out the local flora and fauna before pulling into the expanse of a drive-in movie lot.

No one talked about the miles per gallon rating of their car. It was all about horsepower and how fast you could get from zero to sixty.  Sure the gas needle moved like a radio in constant search of a station but there were gas stations aplenty.

No comments: