Monday, September 29, 2008

The Cicada Index

Just so we're on the same page, the Cicada is that summertime insect that sits in trees making shrill buzzing noises. It's the sound many of us associate with a real scorcher of a summer day.

I heard one buzzing away today during lunch. The sound seemed out of place given the temperature was only in the 70s and was never going to climb higher. An endless parade of thick, gray clouds blocked out any hint of sunshine. Nevertheless, that one noisy cicada had me tugging at my shirt collar and wishing I had worn a lighter pair of pants.

It occurred to me that we need a new weather index - the cicada index.

It seems we're no longer concerned about actual temperatures anyway. It's all about the heat index and the wind chill factor. The weather report can have you wiping sweat from your forehead or shivering inside your coat even before you leave the house.

But I contend that the cicada is very bit as reliable as any heat index (just ask anyone who spends lots of time outside).

So my proposed Cicada Index is:

One cicada buzzing: Uncomfortably warm - wear light colored clothing

Two to five cicadas buzzing: Downright hot - drink plenty of fluids

Swarms of cicadas buzzing at ear damaging decibels: Forget work and school - find the nearest body of water.