Sunday, May 21, 2023

Colorado National Monument

 


When Betty said she wanted to take a day trip to Colorado National Monument, I thought we were going to see a structure - like the Washington Monument.

It turns out the Colorado National Monument is 31 square miles containing lots of structures - none of them man made. 

Rather than hoofing it on hiking trails, we decided to take our truck on Rim Rock Drive. The 23 miles of roadway rises roughly 2,500 feet as it skirts the edges of red rock cliffs. A snake would be envious of all the curves in this drive. Every turn offered an even more breathtaking vista.

 At least that's what Betty said,

I dared not take my eyes of the roadway which was just wide enough for two cars. Since we were in a pickup truck with dual wheels on the rear axle, our vehicle width was a little wider than average. When a car did come the other way I found myself wondering if both vehicles would pass without damage. For the most part guard rails were non-existent. A miscalculation by the driver on the outer side of a curve would result in a substantial plummet.

We made it through without incident, though Betty did confess she sometimes leaned to the center of the truck to keep it from toppling into the canyon.

 There were several pull-offs where Betty and I were able to equally enjoy landscapes that went on forever.


 

After one such stop, Betty asked if I wanted her to drive the remaining part of the roadway. I said I was fine to keep going. Later Betty told me she would be forever grateful of my decision.

Independence Monument, shown in the top picture, is all that remains of what used to be a solid canyon wall. Apparently getting to the top of the Monument is considered a fun, recreational climb by many outdoorsy types.On July 4th of every year there is a climb to place an American flag at the top.

Throughout Colorado National Monument, we saw where erosion is slowly changing other walls of rock into individual monoliths.


 


No comments: