Sunday, July 12, 2009

Finger Talons

I was observing a woman struggling with the preparation of a cup of coffee yesterday. She seemed to be having difficulty holding the insulated cup. Thinking she might have arthritis or a similar affliction, I was trying to decide how to tactfully offer assistance.

Before I could put my foot in my mouth, I noticed the true reason for the woman's difficulty. Her fingernails were easily four inches long. The nails curved in such a way that the coffee cup might well have been punctured had the woman gripped too hard.

So I have to wonder.... how much inconvenience does a person have to experience before they decide it might just be time to trim their talons?

Because surely gripping a coffee cup was the least of the woman's problems. What happens if her eye itches? How does she hold a pen? How does she press the buttons on a cell phone? How does she eat a piece of fruit?

Perhaps most problematic of all... How does someone with four inch fingernails perform ...uhm... certain personal hygiene functions associated with bathroom visits?

Just thinking about that last one makes me cringe.

No comments: